Tuesday, July 7, 2009

from an old roomie...

Dear Studio 129 --

Do you remember the wonderful times we had together?
I do.

I remember hot summers spent in your shadowy coolness, and our guerrilla garden just out back in the alley.

I remember your high ceilings -- I LOVE that we got to have an 18ft Xmas tree one year,
and that our friend hung her silks aerial silks from your ceiling and rehearsed in your space. Living with you was like living a childs life all over again -- we had enough space to play hackey-sack while also recording an entire hard drive's worth of music.

I remember Fringe performers pitching their tents during the fringe one year - an indoor tent city, and how you accidentally locked me out in my underwear one morning... luckily the neighbours were as Bohemian as we were and didn't bat an eye when I knocked on their window and asked to be let in through the backdoor of your adjoining hallway.

I remember that living with you was rough at times, Studio 129. We got really sick one winter; living in a space that is just one step up from outdoors can lead to illness. We each took turns playing nurse while the other recovered... and you looked on.

But the joy of living with you casts a bright light onto any of the dark times.

I remember such moments of peace, comfort, connection, friendship, and satisfaction: the sounds of birds in the field behind us; the warmth of the heater on the coldest of days; late night/early morning tea with room-mates and friends, and countless artistic and creative endeavours.

I'l always remember you, Studio 129, 48 Abell Street.
Even if we weren't meant to be together forever.

Love,
Carmen

* click on the title to find out more about what old roomie 48 Abell is up to now...

No comments:

Post a Comment